Sunday, April 13, 2008

Hydrogen

Hydrogen is the raw fuel that most stars 'burn' to produce energy.

Chris Ison said, during a journalism workshop that I attended this weekend, that taping one's interviews is a good thing, "but painful." He went on to say, this man who's won a Pulitzer for his reporting, that he hates to listen to all his dumb comments and questions when later transcribing the recording.

I found that remark to be a mixture of delight--even the pinnacles of success carry the same self-doubt as I--and reassurance--I'm not alone in my angst as I strive to be that Perfect Journalist. As if.

3 comments:

MJ Budig said...

Perfection kills creativity. Great blog!

Kerry Dexter said...

Susan,
ever listen to Krista Tippet on Speaking of Faith? there's a journalist who knows the value really listening.

susanbudig said...

Hey, my lil sis makes the first comment here. :-)

And Kerry, I've listened some to Krista. I bought my husband her lastest book for a gift. Maybe I should read it, too. ;-)